The start of the year sees new frames trending as we refresh our style and look forward to the sunnier months ahead. While some classic designs will always have widespread popularity, our tastes in shapes and colors, fashion trends, and design details can vary widely, from place to place. We’re taking you on a global tour outside the USA to put you in the “frame”.
Europe: Colorful, Trendy + Chic
Distinctive, unique, eye-catching, and colorful – Europeans love a diverse choice of frames: a classic style with a contemporary twist, a new bright color to make a statement, or a high-tech frame in the latest polyamide material, they like to choose from a range of collections and individualistic styles.
Europe has a vast choice of small independent labels, artisan designers, and innovators in eyewear who love to work with intriguing materials. Whether luxurious, natural, 3D printed, or even bio-based, their desire to explore new materials has become the foundation for new trends and directions in optics worldwide.
- Other classic optical shapes that are popular are the cat-eye, the aviator, the panto, and rectangular styles; the square shapes are trending for both women and men.
- The rise of classic blue tones, thanks to Pantone in 2020, has brought this color into most of the men’s and women’s collections again this year. Other traditional eyewear favorites (black and tortoise) are prevalent, and crystal is considered very trendy.
- For 2021, tones like gray and coral are expected to do well, along with light mood-enhancing pastel tones of pink, soft green, light mustard, even delicate white.
- Europe is embracing the growth in eco-friendly styles made from recycled bottles, recycled ocean plastic, or natural materials such as wood and horn.
Trends In Asia: Light, Well Balanced, Mainly Minimal
In Asia, consumers have a preference for minimal metals, rounded or oval frames, and fine, light, innovative high-tech designs. The trendy multi-sided hexagonal designs in metal – titanium is highly regarded - are also current, and sought after by men and women alike.
- Pastel tones of baby blue, delicate pink and purple, and soft green, as well as silver, gold, or white finishes are popular - classic blue and black are also very well-liked.
- Other styles include narrow cat eyeglasses with delicate decorations, oval-shaped frames, and some classic ‘James Dean’ acetate spectacles for men who like a strong smart statement.
Asian Inspired Ideas
Africa: Contemporary Statements, A Love For The Classics
Beautiful shapes, a love for oversized, stylish details, and big-name brands are among the features that you’ll find on the African continent. Bestselling shapes include rectangular frames, browline and panto shapes, and the cat’s eye – particularly the thick-rimmed tortoise styles.
- Traditional hues of black, tortoiseshell, and blue as well as some patterned acetates, bright reds, and nature-inspired tones are trending in Africa.
- The shapes that we all love will be popular: round and rectangular - but there’s always room for a cat-eye or a retro browline.
- Popular brands include Ray-Ban, Maui Jim, Porsche Design and Persol for men and Ray-Ban, Gucci, and Tom Ford for women
Ideas from Africa
A Glamorous, Bold Style: Latin America
Popular styles include thick, dark stylish frames for men and for women, oversized round shapes and cat’s eyes in every shape and form, from Mexico to Brazil - frames that match one’s personality and express a sense of style, with colors that resonate with contemporary fashion make for a perfect combination on this side of the world.
- Top shapes include the large rectangles and square-ish glasses for men and the cat’s eye for women. Vintage-inspired designs are definitely still trending!
- The variety in brands and styles available ensures that every wearer can find a unique look.
- Frames in original colors and patterned acetates, decorated jewelry frames and oversized head-turning shapes with great color combinations do very well over here!